Southampton’s appeal against Championship final dismissal dismissed after ‘spygate’ scandal | Football news

Southampton’s appeal against their expulsion from the Championship final due to the ‘spygate’ scandal has been dismissed.
As a result, Hull City will face Middlesbrough in the play-off final on Saturday, with the showpiece starting at 3.30pm.
On Tuesday evening, Southampton were told their sacking bid had been dismissed following the spygate scandal after a member of the Saints backroom was caught watching Boro’s training ahead of the first leg of their semi-final.
According to the EFL, Southampton admitted “numerous breaches” related to the unauthorized recording of opponents’ training ahead of games against Oxford and Ipswich, as well as the clash with Middlesbrough.
Despite being kicked out of the final on Saturday, Southampton were also stripped of four points for next season. Reacting to their dismissal, Southampton called the decision “disproportionate” to the case.
The Saints appealed the decision, but it was dismissed on Wednesday night with no further appeals.
More to follow…
Spygate timeline: How did we get here?
May 7: Middlesbrough have made a formal complaint to the EFL alleging a member of Southampton staff spied during their training session three days before their Championship semi-final first leg.
May 9: Boro boss Kim Hellberg accuses Southampton of cheating after the first leg ended 0-0 at the Riverside Stadium.
May 12: Southampton charged with breaches of EFL rules in relation to spying allegations. Southampton are asking for more time to carry out an internal review.
The second leg of the play-off semi-final is played at St Mary’s. Shea Charles’ extra-time winner earned Southampton a 2-1 win and a place in a theatrical play-off final.
Emotional Hellberg slams “disgraceful assessment”, before Saints manager Tonda Eckert walks out of press conference after being asked: “Are you a cheater?”
May 13: Footage allegedly showing a Southampton commentator near Middlesbrough’s training ground has been released publicly.
May 14: It has been announced that an independent hearing to determine the fate of Southampton will take place on or before Tuesday, May 19. In a statement, the EFL says “the outcome of the disciplinary proceedings may result in changes to the game.”
May 15: Middlesbrough have publicly called for Southampton to be kicked out of the play-offs. In a statement, they said: “In these circumstances, the only appropriate response is a sporting sanction that would prevent Southampton FC from taking part in the EFL Championship final.
May 18: Middlesbrough players return to training as the result of the independent disciplinary hearing approaches.
May 19: The EFL announces that Southampton have been kicked out of the play-off final after hearing.
May 20: Southampton appeal heard but dismissed.
This is a breaking story under review and more details will be published soon. Please refresh this page for the latest updates.
Sky Sports brings you live updates as they happen. Get the latest sports news, analysis, exclusive interviews, replays and highlights.
Sky Sports is your trusted source for sports highlights and live updates. Watch live streaming of your favorite sports: Football, F1, Boxing, Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Rugby League, Rugby Union, NFL, Darts, Netball and get the latest transfer news, results, scores and more.
Visit skysports.com or the Sky Sports App for all the best sports headlines. You can get Sky Sports app notifications for the latest news from your favorite sports, you can follow @SkySportsNews on X for the latest updates and you can now follow the Sky Sports WhatsApp channel.



