Southampton kicked out of Championship play-offs over ‘spygate’ Middlesbrough reinstated | Football news

Southampton have been kicked out of the Championship play-offs due to the ‘spygate’ scandal.
Middlesbrough were reinstated after a bombshell decision from the independent commission, which heard the EFL’s case on Tuesday, and will now face Hull City in the play-off final in four days’ time on Saturday 23 May.
In addition, Southampton have been handed four points for next season.
According to the EFL, Southampton have admitted “multiple breaches” relating to the unauthorized recording of their opponents’ pre-match training sessions.
“Southampton were initially charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to further breaches of the rules for the 2025-26 season.
“These additional charges arose out of matters identified after the trial of the first case involving Middlesbrough.
“Southampton admitted breaching rules requiring clubs to act in good faith and prohibiting the viewing of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
“The admitted breach affects matches against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.”
Southampton were first reported to the EFL by Middlesbrough when they alleged that a Southampton employee was spying during training on May 7 before their semi-final, in breach of league rules, and the EFL charged them the following day.
Southampton decision ‘shocked and appalled’
Sky Sports News understands that Southampton has appealed the commission’s findings and will be contesting the decision. The EFL admitted the outcome of the appeal “could cause further changes to Saturday’s game”.
Sky Sports News Journalist Mark McAdam said the Saints were “shocked and appalled” by the decision, adding that they believed the sanctions were “disproportionate”.
He said: “Southampton feel they still have a strong chance of playing Hull on Saturday after the appeal.
“No one expected these to be sanctions. This is the biggest punishment the Saints could receive.”
Hullcurrently, they were disappointed with the result as they were preparing to face Southampton from last week. Sky Sports News you understand. Saints have lost twice to Hull in the Championship this season – but in contrast, Middlesbrough beat Hull 4-1 away before losing 1-0 at home to The Tigers in December.
Boro ‘accept’ Southampton sacking
Meanwhile, Middlesbrough released a statement saying: “Middlesbrough Football Club welcomes the outcome of today’s disciplinary hearing.
“We believe this sends a clear message to the future of our game in terms of sporting integrity. As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket details for our supporters will be available shortly.”
‘Boro will feel completely justified in their stance’
Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol:
It is a remarkable change for Middlesbrough, and they will feel vindicated after fighting hard to ensure their interests are represented. In their view, what Southampton did was completely against the rules and gave them an unfair advantage.
The owners and management of Middlesbrough will feel that they are fully justified in their stance. And then it seems very wise that the players did not go on vacation and instead returned to training because they can prepare themselves for a game that is often described as the richest in world football.
If you win it, you could be looking at around £200m.
Spygate timeline: How did we get here?
May 7: Middlesbrough have made a formal complaint to the EFL alleging a member of Southampton staff spied during their training session three days before their Championship semi-final first leg.
May 9: Boro boss Kim Hellberg accuses Southampton of cheating after the first leg ended 0-0 at the Riverside Stadium.
May 12: Southampton charged with breaches of EFL rules in relation to spying allegations. Southampton are asking for more time to carry out an internal review.
The second leg of the play-off semi-final is played at St Mary’s. Shea Charles’ extra-time winner earned Southampton a 2-1 win and a place in a theatrical play-off final.
Emotional Hellberg slams “disgraceful assessment”, before Saints manager Tonda Eckert walks out of press conference after being asked: “Are you a cheater?”
May 13: Footage allegedly showing a Southampton commentator near Middlesbrough’s training ground has been released publicly.
May 14: It has been announced that an independent hearing to determine the fate of Southampton will take place on or before Tuesday, May 19. In a statement, the EFL says “the outcome of the disciplinary proceedings may result in changes to the game.”
May 15: Middlesbrough have publicly called for Southampton to be kicked out of the play-offs. In a statement, they said: “In these circumstances, the only appropriate response is a sporting sanction that would prevent Southampton FC from taking part in the EFL Championship final.
May 18: Middlesbrough players return to training as the result of the independent disciplinary hearing approaches.
May 19: The EFL announces that Southampton have been kicked out of the play-off final after hearing.




