Sports News

Celtic Park stadium attack: Hearts criticize ‘premature end’ decide title sets ‘worrying precedent’ | Football news

Hearts have written to the Scottish FA and the SPFL questioning the “worrying precedent” set by the “premature end” of last Saturday’s Scottish Premiership title decider at Celtic Park.

The Jambos went into the final day of the season one point ahead of the Hoops, but Callum Osmand’s late goal saw many home fans run onto the pitch to celebrate.

Hearts players left the pitch immediately in their kits due to what the Tynecastle club said was a “threatening and threatening situation inside the pitch”.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The highlights of the Scottish Premiership match between Celtic and Hearts as the hosts were chosen as champions

Celtic apologized to Hearts for the incident, adding that they will “cooperate fully with any investigation”.

But the Edinburgh club have released a new statement, raising concerns about the end of the season.

“As previously noted, the club is investigating the events before, during and after the match, and will give Police Scotland our full support as they continue their enquiries,” the statement read.

“We have also written to the SFA and the SPFL, setting out our observations and questions about the circumstances surrounding the early end of the match, and expressing our concern that a worrying precedent has been set where pitch invasions can dictate the timing of a football match, not the match officials.

“We have asked them to respond to us immediately on the points we have raised.

“The entry of spectators into the stadium must not be allowed under any circumstances, and the seriousness of the possible consequences must be fully understood by fans and clubs alike.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Martin O’Neill admitted he thought his days of lifting trophies at Celtic Park were over

Hearts also criticized Martin O’Neill’s comments on Monday, when he refused to comment on the scenes after Osmand’s goal.

The Tynecastle Park club revealed players and staff reported “serious physical and verbal abuse” during and after the scenes, describing them as “unacceptable” and “disgraceful”.

However, O’Neill continues TalkSPORT Asked if the scenes had tarnished the image of the game, he said: “I’m sorry, I don’t agree with that at all. I don’t know about the clash between the Hearts players, and there’s a lot of hyperbole about that, let’s get the real picture.”

Hearts added that the result of that third goal was a “disappointment for Scottish football”. However, O’Neill said: “Well, I don’t believe that, I just don’t believe it, I think it’s nonsense” and went on to add “it’s a home game and we were going to win the league, and the fans come into the stadium, okay? Okay, so they have to stay that way?”

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

When Callum Osmand sealed the title for Celtic against Hearts

In response to those comments, a recent Hearts statement added: “The entry of spectators into the stadium must not be allowed under any circumstances, and the seriousness of the potential consequences must be fully understood by supporters and clubs alike.”

“We are aware of the irresponsible comments that have been made publicly this week, which seem to want to protect those who entered the stadium on Saturday and undermine the tense situation. Those comments have dangerous consequences, and we ask the football authorities to ensure that this matter is treated with the seriousness it deserves, with the full cooperation of all parties involved.”

Can field raids be a crime?

Sky Sports News understands that the SPFL will hold talks with the Scottish Government about criminalizing stadium attacks, as has been the case in England and Wales since 1991. They are also willing to discuss the issue of making it a criminal case, which has recently happened in England.

Scotland’s First Minister, John Swinney, said the move would only be considered alongside the consultation on changing the football ban laws, which were closed before the election.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The deputy chief of police in Scotland, Mark Sutherland, condemned the chaos in Glasgow as fans celebrated Celtic’s victory in the Scottish Premiership, where many people were arrested and police were injured.

“The government will discuss with football clubs, football authorities and local authorities so that we can take steps to avoid this, and if there are other legal measures that we should consider to ensure that these problems are fixed, we will do that,” he said.

Swinney, who criticized those fans who threw missiles at police during celebrations in Glasgow city center – scenes that led to many arrests – added: “We have a job to do, to work with the football clubs, and the SPFL, and the City Council to prevent this from happening again. And I’m calling on the Government to get involved in that process.

“But fundamentally, at the heart of this, the behavior of a minority of fans is unacceptable and needs to be addressed.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button