Canada and allies condemn Israel’s settlement expansion amid West Bank conflicts – nationally

Canada and several allied nations are calling on Israel to halt settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank as conflict in the region continues to escalate amid house demolitions, deadly shootings and increased international scrutiny.
In a joint statement issued Friday alongside Australia, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and the United Kingdom, Canada warned that the expansion of Israeli settlements and settler violence undermines stability and prospects for a two-state solution.
The statement condemned the proposed development in the disputed E1 area east of Jerusalem, saying the project would “divide the West Bank in two” and was a “gross violation of international law.”
According to the International Court of Justice, Israeli settlements in the West Bank are considered illegal under international law.
Get the latest country news
Get the best Canadian news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you never miss a trending story.
The warning comes as Israeli bulldozers this week demolished scores of Palestinian-owned shops in southeast Jerusalem to make way for the construction of a road linking nearby settlements.
Israeli authorities said the demolitions were necessary to build infrastructure to serve Palestinian communities.
But Palestinian officials said the road was part of a broader strategy aimed at rerouting Palestinian traffic away from a new highway being developed for Israeli settlements in the area.
Violence in the West Bank has also escalated in recent days.
Earlier this week, health officials in Palestine said a 32-year-old Palestinian man died after being shot by Israeli soldiers while trying to cross the barrier into Israel for work.
It was the second such killing in less than a week involving Palestinians trying to enter Israel for employment.
Meanwhile, Israel’s Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich recently ordered the evacuation of a Palestinian village in the West Bank, fueling tensions in the region.
In their joint statement, the countries urged Israel to stop expanding settlements, investigate allegations against Israeli soldiers, ensure accountability for settler violence and lift financial restrictions on the Palestinian Authority.
Countries also warn businesses against getting involved in residential construction projects, citing potential legal and reputational risks.
“We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to a comprehensive, just and lasting peace based on the negotiated two-state solution,” the statement said.
– With files from the Associated Press
© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



